As you can imagine, there is quite a bit of regulation related to getting, having, and keeping a Concealed Carry of Deadly Weapons (CCDW) permit in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Q&A’s in this section of our website are intended to simultaneously answer questions about the CCDW permit/license itself and about our class. Hopefully they will answer all of your questions but, if after reading through all of these questions and answers, you still have a question then please complete the “Contact Us” form on this website and someone will get back to you with an answer. Generally speaking, you should have a response within 2 business days.
In order to obtain a Kentucky CCDW permit/license one must be:
A legal RESIDNET of Kentucky (KY) with a VALID driver’s license or other government issued ID
No less than 21 years of age
It is NOT required that you own a firearm to obtain your KY CCDW permit/license. There is a shooting requirement but it is not designed to be challenging. Instead, it is intended to ensure that each CCDW permit/license holder is able to SAFELY control and fire his/her weapon by hitting only their intended target and not harming him/herself in the process.
We require that each class participant bring a GOOD QUALITY handgun, either a revolver or semi-automatic, with 50 rounds of FACTORY LOADED ammunition of the correct caliber. We PROHIBIT reloaded ammunition from being used. We also will inspect the weapon and ammunition so before allowing them to be used on the range and reserve the right to NOT allow you to use either a weapon or ammunition that we deem unsafe to use. In such cases we work to find an alternate solution so you can still qualify at the range.
ALL participants are also required to bring EYE and EAR protection for use at the firing range and to bring a basic gun cleaning kit. Participants that do not bring their own eye & ear protection will be required to purchase them at the class.
Can I still take the class and get my CCDW license even if I don’t own a gun?
– Yes, it is not required that you own a firearm to obtain a CCDW license. You will need to borrow one from a friend/family member or you may contact the course instructor and inquire about using one of his.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
– Must be a legal Kentucky Resident
– Must be no less than 21 years of age
– Use our contact form for any other questions concerning eligibility
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
– Free parking available at both the classroom location and range location. Generally we have the class and range at the same location but if not you are expected to provide your own transportation to the range from the class. We may be able to arrange a carpool but you must communicate this need to us in advance of the class you attend.
What must I bring to the event?
– Must bring valid driver’s license or government issued ID
– Must bring a functioning QUALTIY handgun (revolver or semi-automatic)
– Must bring 50 rounds of factory loaded ammunition for your handgun of the correct caliber (no reloaded ammo allowed)
– Must bring eye and ear protection (you will be required to purchase if not with you)
– Must bring a basic cleaning kit
– Must wear closed-toe shoes and dress appropriately for weather (range is outside, class is indoors)
– If you have dietary restrictions you are welcome to bring your own lunch. (A refrigerator is not available.)
Can I shoot re-loaded ammunition?
– No. All ammunition used must be good quality and factory loaded.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
– All questions should be submitted through the “Contact Us” form on this website.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
– Yes, as long as communicated to David (email@example.com) no less than 2 full days before the day of the class).
Can I update my registration information?
– Yes, send a request to contact the instructor via the “Contact Us” form on this website.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
– It would be helpful but not required.
What is the refund policy?
– The $5 registration fee is non-refundable. The $80 balance is due in cash upon arrival the day of class and is not refundable if you do not pass the course. If you fail you *may* be allowed to re-take the course at a reduced rate. That is up to the discretion of LouKyCCDW.com and the primary instructor David Meek.
– The only exception to the “non-refundable” registration fee is if LouKyCCDW.com decideds to cancel the class due to weather or low attendance. In that case, those that are not able to attend the class on the new appointed date may request a cancellation and refund.
Will LouKyCCDW.com teach a private class?
– Yes. Private classes require a minimum number of participants. Please submit a request via the “Contact Us” form on this website and someone will respond to you with more information.
For other questions concerning eligibility or to inquire about taking the course if you do not yet own a functioning handgun please email us via the “Contact Us” form on this website.